Baron Stiegel Lions Club

About "Baron" Heinrich Wilhelm Stiegel

Baron Stiegel
Elizabeth Farms once the homestead of iron-masters Baron Heinrich Wilhelm- Stiegel and Robert Coleman in the 1700's.

STIEGEL, HENRY WILLIAM (1729-1785): Called "Baron" Stiegel, largely at his own desire. Born (Heinrich Wilhelm) in Cologne, Germany, and came to Philadelphia in 1750 with his mother, a widow. He married in 1752, his first wife, Elizabeth Huber, the daughter of an iron manufacturer, and for a number of years was engaged in that business. In 1763 he started a glass-works for making window and bottle glass at Elizabeth Furnace, the site of the ironworks, but this factory was discontinued in 1765 when the new works started operation, a plant ten miles north which he had built and named Manheim. Stiegel brought skilled workmen from England and Germany and possibly from Italy. At first, this factory was also devoted chiefly to making bottles and window glass. In 1769 the plant was in full operation and his output, which was of superior quality, found a ready market in Philadelphia and in towns as far removed as New York and Boston. Stiegel glass was noted for its delicacy, its wonderful jewel-like colors and the beautiful designs. It was probably the most beautiful glass ever blown in the American colonies. He was the first American maker to attempt enameling on glass. Stiegel glass has been imitated by glass-makers ever since, and few collectors will now attribute any glass to Stiegel unless it is well authenticated. Owing to financial irregularities, which came to a head in 1774, his business was ruined and Stiegel died a poor man in 1785, perhaps largely due to his extravagant habits during the days of his prosperity. How he obtained the complimentary title of "Baron" is no mystery, as it was self-bestowed, but it was suited to the feudal luxury in which he lived before his failure. Noteworthy collections of Stiegel glass are to be seen at the Metropolitan Museum in New York and the Pennsylvania Museum in Philadelphia. Pennsylvania German glassware was best known through the artistry of "Baron" Heinrich Wilhelm Stiegel. Stiegel was a master craftsman who became a legend in his own time as the flamboyant owner of iron and glassworks. Stiegel glass cannot be definitely identified since his workers took his methods to other factories after his own went bankrupt. However, Stiegel-type flint glass, or crystal, was widely known for its beauty, fragility, and the brilliance of its colors. A wide variety of glassware -- from wineglasses, sugar bowls, and cruets to windowpanes and chemists' bottles -- was made at the Stiegel furnace. Stiegel was the first American glass manufacturer to enamel glass. Pieces made of white, or clear, glass have their decoration of birds, tulips, and scrolls painted on freehand with red, green, and yellow enamel. The motifs used reflect typical Pennsylvania German traditions of decoration.

[Following from]

BARON HENRY WILLIAM STIEGEL. Historical and Biographical Sketch of Baron Henry Wm. Stiegel, J.H. Sieling, M.D., Manheim, Pa, read before the Lancaster Country Historical Society, Friday September 4th, 1896, Lancaster, PA and reprinted in the Lancaster New Era in 1896.

He was one who stood alone. While the men be agonized for Hurled the contumelious stone. We In silent awe return, To glean up his scattered ashes Into History's golden urn."


It is difficult to bring the life of such an extraordinary man as Baron Stiegel, who was born at least a hundred years in advance of his time, before an audience In such a manner as not to weary the most enthusiastic local historian at a single sitting. So large and voluminous to the traditionary history of this one Individual's doings that it would cover many pages if dealt with minutely. This man was both over and under estimated by a people who had not the ability to judge and were In consequence awe-stricken by his magnificent equipage as well as his extretme poverty. It has been the purpose of the author, in writing this short biographical sketch, to set the character of this great man vividly before his bearers at this time and trust to a convenient season for an opportunity to compile the great mass of facts and fancies (for every foot of ground from Mantiolin through Elizabeth Furnace and Schaefferstown to Charming Forge is historic) at hand which have been gathered from various sources into a little volume embellished with illustrations by the aid of the camera obscura for the gratification of those who have board in part what would be a veritable romance taken from actual life without a single draught on imagination.

Early Life

Baron Henriech Wilhelm Stiegel was born In Germany, presumably near Manneim, in Baden, evidently of a noble and wealthy parentage, in A. D. 1730. At the age of twenty be became dissatisfied with the slowness of the good old home and mother country and he determined to gather up his portion of this earth's goods, which amounted to L40,000, and venture forth into the New World to prove the many stories scattered broadcast over the Old concerning the golden opportunities in the New, and by so doing soon outstrip his European friends and especially his brothers, with whom he couldn't agree because of his eccentricities, in wealth and honor and fame. The title of "Baron" is disputed by some historians because he never used it in signing legal documents, simply floury Wm. Stiegel. We do know that be permitted the Baron to be used on certain of his stoves and in signing his name to the constitution of the old Brickerville Lutheran Church, September 10th, 1769, which he wrote as chairman of the committee, and is a masterly instrument still in force, having governed those people these 127 years and brought them safely through the destructive litigation just closed. To this document he signed Henrich Von Stiegel. Dr. Jos. Dubbs, historian of Franklin and Marshall College, who some years ago had this subject under investigation, didn't find the name recorded at all in Mannheim, but found that about this time a young Baron answering the description of Stiegel left Mannheim for the New World by the name of Stengel, presumably a clerical error, or the Baron purposely changed his name for some reason. It is positively known that be went on business trips to England but never extended his journey up the Rhine to his " Vater landt." The writer has only last year bad two eminent clergymen "Stadt pfarrer" Hitzig and Greiner look over the records of Manheim with the above result. In our little Manheim lives a man who goes by the name of Spickloser, who was registered in Germany by a tipsy clerk for Spikolitzer. Again the manner of living denoted royalty. It is said that he always wore his Baronial costume whenever he went abroad. On the 31st day of August, 1750, the gallant ship Nancy, Thomas Cauton, master, sailed from Cowas with 270 passengers on board, landed In Philadelphia, and in the list of names we find "Henrich Wilhem Stiegel." During the first two years he traveled about seeking a suitable location, which resulted in the selection of Philadelphia, and Elizabeth, daughter of Jacob Huber, ironmaster at Brickerville, Lancaster county, as a helpmate November 7, 1752. He built a house in Philadelphia, in which he lived till 1765. In 1757 the Baron purchased his father-in-law's furnace property in Elizabeth township, which was one of the largest and oldest furnaces in the United States. Haus Jacob Huber, who erected the furnace, had the following inscription out on a large stone and placed in the stack. "Jacob Huber ist der erste Deutsche mann Der das eisen werk vollfuren Kann. " The old furnace was torn down and a new one erected on or near the same spot and named after the Baron's wife "Elizabeth." The township was named after the furnace and not Queen Elizabeth. Early in the next year (February 3d, 1758) the Baron's faithful wife died in confinement, leaving him with two little children-Barbara. born November 5, 1756, and Elizabeth. She died at her father's house, and was laid to rest in the family burial plot to the Lutheran grave-yard at Brickerville. The furnace was now and In first-class order and the Baron determined to engage in the manufacture of stoves. After the death of his much- loved wife he expripsaad his luclination to mourn even an one of the many varieties of stove plates which bears -this inscription : "H. WHELM STIEGEL UND COMPAGNI FOR. ELIZABETH." ' The first stoves were jamb-stoves with this inscription : Baron Stiegel ist der mann Der die Ofen Giesen Kann"

These stoves were walled Into the jamb of the kitchen fireplace with the back projecting into the adjoining room. Mr. Wm. Taylor, owner and proprietor of Charming Forge, in one of the many living witnesses to the truth of this statement. These stoves were without pipe or oven. Improvements soon followed and the excellent ten-plate wood stoves resulted. People came from all parts of the country to see these great stoves. At this time the Baron was the most enterprising and speculative ironmaster in Pennsylvania. In 1760 Elisabeth Furnace was in a highly prosperous condition; the busy hum gladdened the hearts of the many laborers and the community and filled the proud Baron's pockets with filthy pelf. There were about seventy-five men in his employ; and twenty-five tenant houses stood in close proximity to the furnace. A number of them are still standing and from present indications they will withstand the decay of many ages yet to come. During the fall and winter season many men were employed in cutting wood in the eternal hills nearby, which was converted into charcoal used in smelting the ore. The furnace lands at this time covered about 900 acres, much of it timber, which la being cut down about every seventeen years to this day. A very spacious house, substantially built of sandstone, stands firmly near the site of the furnace which the Baron occupied during his visits to the furnace, which occurred once a month. The imposing appearance of this house caused the simplicity of the surrounding neighbors to call it a mansion, which it still bears very modestly. A number or servants were always kept at the mansion ready to minister to the wants of the Baron and his friends on these periodical visits. This same year the Baron bought a one-half interest in Charming Forge near Womelsdorf, on the Tulpehocken Creek, Berks County. The Baron knew that it was not good for man to be alone, especially when prosperity was turned on him in copious showers. He wooed and wedded the noble Elizabeth Holtz, of Philadelphia, in the autumn of 1759, after being a widower one and a half years, who bore him one son, Jacob, In 1760, who settled in Boiling Springs, Va., September 1st, 1783, shortly after his father's death. The little plain wedding ring now in the possession of Mr. John C. Stiegel, of Harrisonburg, Va., bears this inscription on its inner surface: " H. W. Stiegel and Elizabeth Holtzin," the "in" denoting the feminine gender. The ring, the hymn book and the dictionary in four languages were left in the possession of Judge Ege's family for befriending the Baron in his last days. This ring tells the tale and beyond a doubt the woods in and around Philadelphia all came from the same family tree.

Manheim Founded.

In February, 1762, Charles and Alexander Stedman, merchant and lawyer of Philadelphia, purchased a tract of land containing 729 acres and allowances from Isaac Norris and his wife Sarah. This land had been claimed in 1733 by James Logan, which upon his death reverted to Norris, a son-in-law of Logan. The Baron had become intimately acquainted with these men during the recent prosperous years and the Stiegel Company was formed, the Baron paying L50 sterling for his one-third interest. This partnership was formed in September, 1762. Toward the close of the year the Baron, who was highly educated and a fine surveyor, divided this tract into lots, with streets and alleys, for the purpose of erecting a town which be named and laid out after the city from which he came, "Manheim." On this beautiful spot on the north bank of the Chickies Creek we find the now Manheim of today, the finest and most healthful country town in Pennsylvania, fashioned and shaped after the city whose name it bears beyond the dark blue seas. The Baron's idle dreams of one hundred and thirty-four years ago are slowly but surely maturing. When this town was founded there were only two houses in it and these were little log structures. Stiegel himself was the first to build a house on the ground laid out Work on this house was commenced early in 1763, but it was not finished till 1765. It was erected on the northeast corner of Market Square and East High street in the form of a large square; each side was forty feet long made of red brick which were imported from England and hauled from Philadelphia by the Baron's teams. This in all probability accounts for the long time required in building. The plain neighbors called it a "Mansion" also. This building had two floors. The second floor was divided into three parts by halls; the half of it on the south side was arched and constituted the famous " chapel " which contained a pulpit from which the Baron was wont to teach to his working men and others at times the doctrines or the Lutheran faith in the German language. The other half was divided into two apartments, front and rear. The former had beautiful decorations of tiles with scriptural texts and scenes about the mantles. The same division of rooms by hallways was had down stairs; the great parlor was hung with tapestry on which were painted hunting scenes, life-size, with falcons. Some of this tapestry is still in the hands of Mr. Arndt, the present owner, but the largest part is safely in the Pennsylvania Historical Society's rooms in Philadelphia. The mantles were also adorned with beautiful blue tiles and heavy woodwork doors, wainscoating, etc. This was the most handsome parlor in the community, excelled by verv few in the city. Back of this room was the dining hall and back of it the kitchens. The house was two-storied and on the roof surmounting the whole was the gigantic cupola extending from chimney tb chimney, to which the workmen repaired to entertain the Baron with sweet strains of music. Inside the house were found remaining in after years the finest chinaware, telling of the high aspirations of the people who once resided there. About the time this house was finished the Baron brought his family from Philadelphia, to Elizabeth, this being a larger place than Manheim.

Glass Works

The success at Elizabeth Furnace made the naturally enterprising Baron still more so. It was quite evident to him that his embryonic town could not grow without the stimulus of some industries. Consequently between the years 1765 and 1768 he erected a glass factory on the northwest corner of Stiegel and Charlotte streets. This factory was so large that a four-horse team could easily turn around in it and come out at the place of entrance. It was built of the same imported brick, ninety feet high, in the shape of a dome. The manufacture of glass was commenced In the latter part of the year 1768. (Early in this year he gave a mortgage on his one-third of all the properties of the company, 14,078 acres of land, for 93,000 to Daniel Benezet). Skilled work-men were brought from Europe to carry on the work. At this time this was the only glass factory in America. In 1769 the factory was run to its fullest capacity, employing thirty- five men. A very lnteresting agreement with a decorator can be seen in Mr. Danner's relic room. The stipulations are that he shall do first- class work in handpainting and receive L40 vearly, house roxit and firewood for said services. The products of this factory were vases, sugar and finger bowls, salts, flasks, pitchers, tumblers, wine glasses of every imaginable shape; toys and scores of other articles were manufactured in various colors and handpainted. Much of this superior glassware is still in existence, and quite a large part of it is in the hands of relic hunters. This ware has a characteristic ring that puts all imitations and impostors to shame. August 4, 1769, the Stedmans sold their interest in the 769 acres upon which the town of Manheim stands to Isaac Cox, who on February 1, 1770, sold the same to the Baron for L107 and ten shillings. This gave him the sale ownership of Manheim. The Baron very soon after this moved his family from Elizabeth Furnace to the stately mansion already described, which he had completed five years before. At this time, 1769 and 1770, the Baron was considered one of the wealthiest and most influential men in Pennsylvania. He had invested all of the L40,000 which he bad brought with him from the old country in tracts of land in many parts of the State under the title of the Stiegel Company. He had 200 to 300 men employed; Elizabeth Furnace was in a flourishing condition. Stoves were sent out to all parts of the inhabited country. The other furnaces and forges in which Stiegel had an interest, as well as the glass factory, were run to their greatest capacity, the glassware was carried into the markets of Boston, Philadelphia and New York. Quite a goodly portion, fortunately, was sold about home. The Baron was accumulating wealth which made him still more ambitious. He lived very extravagantly and invested freely in almost anything to which his attention was called by a friend. He was in the habit of inviting his city and country friends to a banquet at the mansion at Elizabeth, or the chateau at Manheim. In 1769 George Washington was his guest while he lived at Elizabeth. The room in which be slept is pointed out with great pleasure, to this day, by those who occupy the mansion.

The Tower.

During the latter part of 1769, Stiegel built a tower, or castio, on a hill near Schaefferstown, Lebanon county, Pa., five miles north of Elizabeth Furnace. This hill is called to this day " Thurm Berg " (Tower Hill). The tower was fifty feet square at the bottom and ten feet at the top and seventy-five feet high, built solidly of heavy timber; some of the logs are still preserved in the composition of an old barn in the immediate vicinity. This tower was built for the purpose of entertaining his friends as well as a place of safety. It consisted of several spacious banquet halls in which the Baron banqueted his friends. It is said that every time he visited the castle, or Elizabeth, his coming was announced in thundering tones from the summit of Cannon Hill by the mouth or a signal gun, from which the "Hill" took its name. This hill rises majestically to the height of about 600 feet, on the north-east side of the site of Elizabeth Furnace, and is still known by this name, or "Stick Berg. "


Baron Stiegel visited Europe at intervals on business. It is said that upon one occasion he took the family with him. The account books at Charming Forge, now in the archives of the Pennsylvania Historical Society, show that several times he drew L1,000, an allowance, for a trip to England. It cannot be ascertained that he ever returned to his native place even on these trips. While he lived In Philadelphia and managed the works in this and adjoining counties. It was his custom to start out in his chariot drawn by four spanking horses, of which he was a great fancier. He was always suspicious of his surroundings, fearing that some one might seek his life, consequently he never traveled without postillions and a pack of hounds running ahead of his horses. The watchman stationed on Cannon Hill, "Stick Berg," made the joyful announcement. At Manheim the workmen gathered in the cupola of the chateau and played sweet strains on their well- accorded instruments, the people flocked to the house and Stiegel entered the town amid the strains of music, shouts of the inhabitants and the barking of dogs. The Baron's appearance at each place was the signal for a good time all around. The cannon also announced his departure for the city, as well as to the distant charcoal burners and wood choppers; it meant pay day. The Baron's workmen looked forward with great anticipation to these seasons. He treated his men exceedingly well, and his presence was their highest joy. For those of his workmen who were musically inclined he bought instruments and hired teachers. He took great interest in their spiritual welfare, gathering them and others into the chapel to his house and preached to them whenever opportunity offered. Some of his hearers came fifteen miles on foot. Stiegel was a great public benefactor. He held a note of L100 against the Lutheran congregation at Schaefferstown. On one of his visits the behavior of those people toward him so pleased him that he gladdened their hearts by drawing from his vest pocket the note and handed it to the officers of the church to be reckoned against them no more. To Zion's people of Manheim he gave the beautiful lot upon which the church now stands for the sum of five shillings, to make the debt lawful, and the annual rental of "one red rose" in the month of June, forever. The payment of this rose is an occasion of great rejoicing in said church each year, a monument to the noble Baron's memory more lasting than 10,000 towers erected on old "Thurm Berg."

His Downfall

The Baron lived extravagantly and made a great display of wealth not warranted by his income. The glass factory, which had cost so much, brought in meagre returns; the market was too far off and the labor very expensive, as only high- classed workmen were employed. A number of people preyed upon his generosity. It is said that the Steadman's were his evil genii; their sanguinary proboscis had a depleting effect, but this was only one of the factors that led on to financial ruin and a prison cell. The impending Revolutionary War cloud that overshadowed and stagnated every branch of business, added to his many human leeches, proved too much for the once great Baron. On August 4,1774, he wrote Judge Yeates of his, having done all to keep back the Sheriff, having as a last resort pledged his wife's gold watch. Under date of October 14, written at Manheim also, he addresses Honorable Jasper Yeates again, begging for some time to get his goods to market: To Jasper Yeates Esq.
Sir-- have been awaiting your answer to my last price. Mr. Singer is come home but none we yet received ; lot me there,'ore beg the favor ot you to send it hereby and, If possible, prevail on Mr. Singer to sent me his answer to my last. I make no doubt but if be was to come here wo could fall on a method that might serve me and at the same time secure him and Mr. Stone. I remain in expectation of yr hereby Your moat obliged Able Servant Henry Wm. Stiegel. Manheim, October I4, 1774. About this time he wrote a remarkable prayer on the fly leaves of his hymn book which bears the sanie distressed state of mind and soul of the letter which he poured out in fervent supplication before a throne of grace. Although he made a brave and madly effort to surmount his dileoultieii, he had to succumb to the inevitable and shortly after the date of the last letter he was incarcerated. Numerous efforts were made to keep him out of prison by the people of Lancaster, Lebanon and Berks counties, but since they were nearly all poor and the creditors inexorable they failed of their purpose. In this hour of trial and great distress some of those rich Philadelphians whom the Baron so often befriended and entertained so royally at his mansion refused to sacrifice a single dollar to save his credit or his honor. A few, however, spent considerable money in his behalf, but not sufficient to keep him out of prison. The employes were very devoted to their employer and when they learned that he was being east into prison for debt, wailing and lamentations were substituted for the jollifications and feastings of bygone days. The once energetic community must sink back into nothingness and obscurity for the want of stimulation. The smoke ceased to curl along the valleys and over the hills from the furnace and forge and glass factory, and the busy hum ivas buslied and a foreboding silence indicated that life was extinct. On the 15th day of December the Baron sent out a circular letter to each or his creditors, of which the following is, a copy: PHILADELPHIA, Dec.15, 1774
Please take notice that I have applied to the Honorable. the House of Assembly, for a law to relieve my person from Imprisonment. If you have any objections please to appear on Thursday next, at 3 o'clock in the afternoon at the gaol in this city before the committee of grievances. Your humble servant, "HENRY WM. STIEGEL.". To John. Brubacher.
On Christmas Eve. December 24, 177 Baron Stiegel stepped out of prison a free man. He had in all probability never received such an appreciable Christmas gift as this special Act of Assembly. His friends advanced him money and shortly after his release, he started Elizabeth Furnace one more. All the Baron's interests everywhere were in the hands of some one else and be was obliged to remove from Manheim to Elizabeth. There was no more extravagant living on the Baron's part. His costly outfit had been sold and he didn't try to replace it. His only hope was that the faithful furnace would help him pay every dollar of his indebtedness. The war broke out, to the utter dismay and discomfiture of the well-minded Baron, for many of those debtors who withheld his money were among the loyalists and their property was confiscated. Stiegel himself was for a time charged with loyalism, which proved to be on the side of the colonies from first to last in their great struggle for liberty and independence. A letter, written to Judge Yeates, January 24, 1776 (now In the possession of Mr. George Steinman), explains the distressing situation. Very soon thereafter large orders for cannon, shot and shell for the patriotic army relieved the oppressed condition. The furnaces were few in America, and these were taxed to their fullest capacity for the production ini munitions of war. Stiegel made known to the authorities that more power could be had by conducting the water from "Sur, Loch"(Saw Hole)around the base of Cannon Hill to Furnace Run. The authorities sent him a large number of Hessian Prisoners, captured at Trenton (it is said 200), to dig the desired canal, which was over a mile in length. Although the water long since ceased to flow through this ditch, it is still plainly visible; in some places the solid rocks have been severed to the depth of ten feet. This digging took place in the winter and spring or 1777. Many of the Hessians remained in this country and became good citizens, very notably, George and John Biemesderfer. The former settled near Pennville, Lancaster county, the latter in Lebanon county, from whom nearly all that excellent stock of Biemesderfers sprang. The Baron was obliged to procur for the laborers. He bought two steers and some wheat from Andreas Wiseler living near Clay and not being able to pay for them he pledged his fine turtle shell cased gold watch and failed to redeem it. About forty years ago it had come down to Mr. Aaron Wissler, foundryman at Brunnerville, this county. He took it to Mr. Zahm, jeweler, and traded it for a fine up-to-date watch. Mr. Zahm cast It into the smelting pot. This watch had "H. Wm. Stiegel " and a rose engraved on the inside of the lid. Toward the close of 1778 the government orders ceased, and the creditors once more began pressing the Baron for money. He had made money on the government orders but not enough to meet all his obligations. He struggled man- fully against the tidal wave, but ruin and disaster came in its wake and the great, manly Stiegel was overwhelmed. His great yearning and all-absorbing thought was how be might satisfy all his creditors. At the close of this year, 1778, we find him penniless, nothing left save his education. He removed his small belongings to the Lutheran parsonage at Brickerville, where he taught school and surveyed land and preached. This combined effort gave him a beauty living at the age of forty-eight, in the prime of life. Some of those who formerly were employed by the Baron and for whose musical education he had paid, now paid him a small sum per week to teach their children, and many who had listened to his sermons years before now paid out of sympathy. In 1780 he was privileged to occupy the Castle, in Schaefferstown. From the Castle, in which he remained but a short time, he moved into a little one and a-half story tenement house, which is still standing, in which he taught school. He carried his little belongings to or near Charming Forge, in 1781, teaching school at Womelsdorf and later quite close to the Forge, probably In his dwelling house. He was employed for a, time as bookkeeper at the Forge. In 1782 his bosom companion went to Philadelphia on a visit, to bar relatives and friends, took sick and died, and the Baron never saw her again. This blow, added to his many misfortunes, caused him to slowly pine away and in the following year, 1783, he died, at the age of fifty-three, in the very prime of life, in the mansion at Charming Forge, and was presumably buried on the family plot in the Lutheran graveyard at Brickerville.


The Stiegel Descendants.

The children of Elizabeth Stiegel, wife of William Old, were:

  1. William, married Elizabeth Nagel.
  2. Joseph, married Rebecca Ege, daughter of Judge Ege, of Charming Forge; both died at Schuylkill Forge. No issue.
  3. James Old, born 16th day of October, 1773; died 10th day of May, 1777, and lies buried beside his grandmother in the Brickerville churchyard.
  4. Jacob, born December 25th, 1777; died unmarried at St. Croix, West Indies, September 20th, 1802.

William Old, Jr., of the third generation, married Elizabeth Nagel as above stated and had the following children:

  1. Louisa, born March 9th, 1799; married Thomas Mills.
  2. Caroline, born February 7th, 1801 married Henry Morris, of Philadelphia.
  3. Morgan, born August, 1803; died at Richmond, Indiana; left issue.
  4. Elizabeth, born 1803; married Dr. Hamilton Witman, of Reading. Among the descendants of this union are Mrs. Elizabeth M. Luther, of Pottsville; her son, R. C. Luther, is chief engineer of the Phila. & Reading R. E.
  5. Rebecca, born September 7th, 1808, at Ephrata; married Dr. Louis Horning, of Montgomery County. The result of this union was one daughter, Martlia M., still living. Dr. Horning died in 1837, and his widow subsequently married Jerome K. Boyer, of Harrisburg, in 1841. This union resulted In four children, George G., Jerome K., Annie L. and Alvala H. All of these children are now living except Jerome K., who died in 1860. Mr. Boyer died In 1880. Mrs. Boyer died on May 21st, 1896.

Jacob Stiegel, son of the Baron, had only one son, Jacob, who married Catherine Brecht (or Bright), daughter of Michael Bright, of Reading, Pa., who had eight children:

  1. Rachel, who married David Dixon, had ten children.
  2. Elizabeth, married W. A. Quick, had one child, Nannie C., living at Boiling Springs, Va.
  3. Louisa, married M. B. Stover, had four children.
  4. Michael, died at the age of twelve years.
  5. A. William Henry, died in Texas.
  6. David, married Bar& Libert, had five children; among them were John C. and Elizabeth Stiegel Henkel.
  7. Charles, married Sarah Cofman, had five children; married a second time to Sarah Craig, by whom he had five children also.
  8. Sarah, married P. Koiner, ten children.


This Stone to a Hard Brownstone, in an excellent state of preservation, 5 feet 8 inches long, 2 feet 2 inches wide and 6 Inches thick, resting on two upright stones, one at either, end of the width and thickness of the slab. To the right of Mrs. Stiegel's tomb is that of James Old, a grandchild, which can be read with the aid of a lens. Inscription.

Here rests Elizabeth whose lifeless body is committed to the earth until Jehovah calls her to another life. God has already freed the soul in the love and wounds of Jesus, from the fetters and thralldom of sin. This Is the tribute which posterity pays her memory. Elizabeth, daughter of Jacob Huber, departed this life at the home of her father. She was born 27th March, 1734, and was married the 7th November, 1752, to Heinrich Wilhelm Stiegel; died February 3d, 1758.

A Singular Coincidence.

Elizabeth Furnace, started in 1757, was finally shut down in 1857, after running exactly one hundred years. The church building which he helped to erect in the town of which he is the founder, was razed the same year, 1857.

Back to Baron Stiegel Lions Home Page